Hope for the future
I saw something yesterday afternoon that renewed my hope for the future of our society. Before I continue I should say that I'm not predicting the imminent demise of life as we know it. I'm commenting on the slowly quickening spiral of our society into the black abyss of hedonism, selfishness and disdain for God and Godly things.
I should also say that what I saw yesterday is something I always see when I'm with Jennifer and Jesse, it's just that it was good to have "it" reaffirmed outside of my own family circle.
"It" was this. We were eating at a local fastfood place. Seated several tables away was a young mother with two children. At the table was a woman who appeared to be the young mother's mother. What struck me was this. This young mother loved her children and loved being with her children. How could I tell? I watched her deal with her little two-year-old boy who was running around the table next to theirs and laughing loudly. There was none of "I told you to quit running around the tables!" Instead she got up, pretended to be a monster, grabbed the runner, and gave him a big hug and a kiss and put him back in his chair. When she was dealing with her children they had her full attention.
Later, when he was finished eating, she put him down (he was about two) and just let him toddle around the tables, which were empty. Instead of just turning him lose and rejoining her mother at the table, she just sat there on her haunches, watching this little guy explore. The look on her face was what struck me. It was just pure delight at being a mother. When he had explored enough, he turned around and came back to the safety of mommy's arms. She didn't have to call him back because he knew that he could explore until his world was too big and scary to go any further and then he could go back to his mother. He knew that because he could turn around and see her waiting. What security! She wasn't, as Jennifer describes it, a helicopter mom, hovering overhead to prevent any accident or mishap. She was just close enough to ensure his safety without bridling his spirit.
By contrast I was in Walmart a couple of weeks ago and a mother was standing behind me in line at the pharmacy. She had a young boy about five years old with her. He was totally out of control, and so was she. In between loud threats to him (obviously without any meaning to him) she would remark in a rather loud voice to the collective audience around her that "She didn't know why he was like that whenver they went to a store. There was just nothing she could do to make him behave." Which, as Jennifer pointed out in a similar situation, was obvious. What was obvious to me was that this child was an inconvenience. He was annoying. He interrupted her life (instead of being the reason for it). If it was that obvious to me, it must have been totally clear to that young boy. Why should he mind her? She didn't care about him, it was all about her.
As long as there are mothers like the first one I have some hope for our society. They not only raise their children, they nurture them. They love them, but sometimes from just far enough away that they learn to be independent. They learn to interact in a civil way with those around them. These mothers are the "bearers of the flag," the "keepers of the flame" or whatever other phrase fits. Their children are the bright lights that will keep the darkness at bay for another generation. And given time and opportunity, these chilren will become mothers and fathers that will pass that nurturing love on to yet another generation.
God bless mothers like that everwhere to realize that theirs is the most important work on earth.
I should also say that what I saw yesterday is something I always see when I'm with Jennifer and Jesse, it's just that it was good to have "it" reaffirmed outside of my own family circle.
"It" was this. We were eating at a local fastfood place. Seated several tables away was a young mother with two children. At the table was a woman who appeared to be the young mother's mother. What struck me was this. This young mother loved her children and loved being with her children. How could I tell? I watched her deal with her little two-year-old boy who was running around the table next to theirs and laughing loudly. There was none of "I told you to quit running around the tables!" Instead she got up, pretended to be a monster, grabbed the runner, and gave him a big hug and a kiss and put him back in his chair. When she was dealing with her children they had her full attention.
Later, when he was finished eating, she put him down (he was about two) and just let him toddle around the tables, which were empty. Instead of just turning him lose and rejoining her mother at the table, she just sat there on her haunches, watching this little guy explore. The look on her face was what struck me. It was just pure delight at being a mother. When he had explored enough, he turned around and came back to the safety of mommy's arms. She didn't have to call him back because he knew that he could explore until his world was too big and scary to go any further and then he could go back to his mother. He knew that because he could turn around and see her waiting. What security! She wasn't, as Jennifer describes it, a helicopter mom, hovering overhead to prevent any accident or mishap. She was just close enough to ensure his safety without bridling his spirit.
By contrast I was in Walmart a couple of weeks ago and a mother was standing behind me in line at the pharmacy. She had a young boy about five years old with her. He was totally out of control, and so was she. In between loud threats to him (obviously without any meaning to him) she would remark in a rather loud voice to the collective audience around her that "She didn't know why he was like that whenver they went to a store. There was just nothing she could do to make him behave." Which, as Jennifer pointed out in a similar situation, was obvious. What was obvious to me was that this child was an inconvenience. He was annoying. He interrupted her life (instead of being the reason for it). If it was that obvious to me, it must have been totally clear to that young boy. Why should he mind her? She didn't care about him, it was all about her.
As long as there are mothers like the first one I have some hope for our society. They not only raise their children, they nurture them. They love them, but sometimes from just far enough away that they learn to be independent. They learn to interact in a civil way with those around them. These mothers are the "bearers of the flag," the "keepers of the flame" or whatever other phrase fits. Their children are the bright lights that will keep the darkness at bay for another generation. And given time and opportunity, these chilren will become mothers and fathers that will pass that nurturing love on to yet another generation.
God bless mothers like that everwhere to realize that theirs is the most important work on earth.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home