Read My bLips

Coherent Thoughts (hopefully) on Random Topics.

Name:
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Where were his parents?

I spoke in Sacrament meeting today. I was actually filling the assignment of another member of the high council who had to be in California. The stake president was the other speaker, so I was (happily) relegated to the "companion speaker" slot -- right after the youth speaker.

The young man, whom I will call Jared, sat down next to me. I joked as I always do that I hoped he had at least 20 minutes of material. In a very earnest voice he told me he had written all he could think and it was only about 3 minutes long. Sensing his concern I assured him that 3 minutes was exactly the right length.

I asked Jared if his parents were in the congregation. No. Unfortunately they had to work today. I asked him what they did, thinking that they might be in some profession that demanded Sunday work. But no, his mother was "retired" and worked in the gift shop at a local landmark. His father was the maintenance supervisor for the regional airport. In my own mind I had already concluded they were "less active."

He told me had to work until 3:30 am this morning and so he was pretty tired. I asked him what he did. He said he was the "Clubhouse Manager" for the local Triple-A baseball team. Last night had been opening night and it had been rather disorganized and he had to wash and dry 15 batches of laundry (uniforms for both teams) with only one drier.

Jared told me that he was getting really scared. I told him that no one in the congregation had an unkind thought toward him. I assured him that if they thought about it at all it was with gratitude that he was speaking and not them. He squeezed out a nervous grin and sat forward, resting his head on his arms folded across his knees.

During the Sacrament he touched me on the arm and said "Would you say a prayer for me? I feel like I might get sick and pass out." I told him I would gladdly pray for him. His face was white. I did pray for him, almost continuously during the Sacrament service. As it was ending I asked how he felt. He said "better" but he was still afraid he might pass out. I said "Don't lock your knees, and if you start to sag I will be right there to steady you." Again that nervous smile.

I felt like I was his father sitting next to him. I put my arm around him and gave him a squeeze and told him he would do fine.

The counselor in the bishopric introduced him. It turns out he wasn't even from that ward, but from an adjoining stake but attended that ward because he had some friends there. It was at that moment that I noticed two young women (sisters to each other?) who were sitting near the front of the chapel. They were mouthing encouragement to him. Yes, his parents were not active, but Jared was diligent in attending church.

Jared got up and with considerable poise that belied his shaking hands began to to talk about friendship. As talks go it was just a brief recitation of why he was grateful for his friends. Knowing his circumstances, however, to me it was a monumental address.

He finished and sat down. Mission accomplished! I sensed in him a jubilation at having managed to not only not faint, but to also have given his talk intelligibly.

Strangley enough, as I started to speak I found myself almost overwhelmed with emotion. With some difficulty I expressed my admiration for him and mentioned his request for me to pray for him. I also mentioned (and had to turn back to him to get the right title) that he was the "Clubhouse manager" for the local professional ball team and that he had been up until 3:30 in the morning and had still made it to church on time.

My talk was just fine and I'm grateful to the Lord for His help in the preparation and presentation of it. My gratitude is boundless, however, for His willingness to bless this future missionary / father / Elders Quorum President / Bishop with a positive experience at a pivotal moment in his life.

The bishop thanked me afterwards for building him up. He said, and I agree, "There was nothing you could have done or said today that was more important for that young man than what you did."

I don't know if he will go on a mission. I encouraged him to go. I assured him that the ward would help support him. He was he was considering it. I am convinced that if he makes the decision to go, it will be in large part because of his experience today. Here was tangible proof that what his friends had been telling him was indeed the truth. This is a God in heaven and he does hear and answer prayers.

Now, where were his parents? They missed a major milestone in their son's life. Where were his parents?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home